Hurricane Factory » FAQ
You have discovered an unusual, adrenaline and after all safe sport and fun for everyone! Come and try the feeling of freefall securely at a wind tunnel, at a comfortable height and constant supervision of professional instructors.
Frequently asked questions
1. WHAT IS THE WIND TUNNEL?The wind tunnel is an indoor skydiving simulator that generates continuous air flow with speed of freefall and thus it simulates conditions of the free fall.
2. HOW DOES FLYING WITHOUT PARACHUTE WORK?Hurricane Factory Tatralandia is recirculating vertical wind tunnel. Four large fans provide laminar air flow which can be compared with speed of the freefall in real jump from the height of 4000 m.
3. HOW HIGH CAN I FLY IN THE WIND TUNNEL?The skydiving simulator Hurricane Factory Tatralandia is 4,3 m wide and 14 m high. After the acquisition of certain skills you can fly up to the height of 14 meters.
4. HOW CAN I CONTROL HEIGHT OF FLYING?Our instructors will show you basic movements how to control the flight yourself. Soon you will learn how to change the height of your flight with your body movement.
5. WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING WITH ME?You'll need lace-up trainers, comfortable clothes under the overall and especially good mood.
6. DOES THE AIR FLOW IN THE SUPERFLY SIMULATOR HAVE ALWAYS THE SAME SPEED?Air speed depends on the weight of flyer and his/her body position. Operator controls the speed of air flow depending on the flyer, who is in the flight chamber. Air speed is lower for flyers with less weight and faster for those who are heavier. Air speed is lower for flying in the basic position and faster for positions as backfly, sitfly and headdown.
7. WHAT IS THE AIR SPEED IN THE WIND TUNNEL?The average speed in the wind tunnel is around 50 meters /second. Professional flyers work in speeds up to 70 meters /second.
8. HOW WILL I GET TO INTO THE AIR FLOW?Flyers can get to the air flow through the door on bottom of the flight chamber and simply leans on to the air current. Our instructor will help you on entering the chamber. You will feel how the air flow lifts up your legs and you will be flying in the so-called basic position. Once the flyer gets used to the air flow he/she can fly in all three dimensions.
9. IS THE FLYER IN THE FLIGHT CHAMBER ALONE?No, the experienced instructors will stay with you in the flight chamber throughout your flight. They always have a possibility to help the flyer and in case of need they are able to stop the air motion. Besides, they will help the flyer find the correct position of the body as well as movements of legs and arms.
10. DO I NEED ANY SPECIAL EQUIPMENT?We provide complete equipment that is standardly used in the parachuting. The flightsuits are made of solid textile fabric. The equipment includes also helmets and googles. The flight chamber is air-conditioned so its temperature is not dependant on the outdoor air temperature. For that reason no special clothes is required under the flightsuit. Any clothes not preventing you from your movement are sufficient.
11. IS IT POSSIBLE TO FLY IN THE TUNNEL WITH MORE THAN ONE PERSON AT THE SAME TIME?Experienced flyers can use Hurricane Factory Tatralandia for 6 people simultaneously. The beginners can fly only together with their instructors. Once the flyers are able to control their movements in the air flow they can fly with more participants.
12. CAN THE FLYING BE INTERRUPTED?Anytime! Your instructor can send signal for interruption of the flight or for speed reduction to the operator who then ensures immediate interruption of the flight.
13. HOW LONG CAN I FLY IN THE TUNNEL?The flight in the tunnel requires considerable efforts, alike the jump from the airoplane. The whole body works and it means that the muscles get tired. Even two minutes of the flight are an unforgettable experience. For beginning we recommend 3 - 6 minutes, which correspond to 5 up to 10 jumps from the height of 4000 meters. Each movement of the freefall can be taught. In case of people without any training it is not reasonable to extend the whole time of flight to more than 20 minutes a day.
The professional flyers often fly more than one hour a day. For professional parachutists one hour of flight in the wind tunnel corresponds to approx 100 jumps from the height of 4000m.
14. HOW MUCH TIME DO INDIVIDUAL ENTRIES TAKE?The time of flying in the Hurricane Factory tunnel is usually divided to 1,5 – minute entries. At the request it is possible to fly even several 1,5 – minute-entries at a time. The length of individual entries is optional and it mostly depends on a good condition of the flyer and type of training.
15. CAN I FREELY BREATHE IN SUCH STRONG AIR CURRENT?In general, people do not have problems with breathing in strong air current. However there are exceptions. In case you have breathing problems in the air current such problems can be solved with the help of the integral helmet.